Thursday, December 29, 2005

Best laid plans...

I'm back in New Jersey. Despite my previous posting saying that I'd be driving up, I flew.

Why, you ask? Because, as I also noted in the previous posting...plans change, sometimes quite unexpectedly.

I never should have posted that I was driving up here. Even though I made concession to the possibility of mining accidents or other fateful occurences, my declaration forced the gods to thwart me. I made it 200 miles north of my parents house before the car broke down. It's got less than 10,000 miles on it, but it's been having problems since Dad was in a front-end collision. (Which is why he's decided not to drive any more. His vision isn't what it used to be. Which is why he was giving me the car.)

So the Ford garage 200 miles north of my parents' house fixed it, and I drove back to my parents house, and they're going to continue driving it short distances until they're sure all the little post-accident kinks have been found and they trust it enough to get me 1130 miles from their house to mine.

In the meantime, I will keep applying prayer and power steering fluid to the mini-van, which may get me around another few weeks. I am relying more on the prayer than the power steering fluid, but we'll see.

I am restless. Towers of boxes overpower my apartment, so that I can't relax in any room but the kitchen. I got back last night and discovered that while I was away last week, the people who bought the house built an illegal 2-bedroom apartment in the basement. My roommate said they've been moving their stuff in. So apparently now they will really be underfoot.

In building their apartment, they blocked off my dryer. And in fact it's now THEIR dryer, though I never agreed to that and am not real happy about it. When they made the offer on the house, they asked for the washer and dryer included. It wasn't included on the listing sheet, and the realtor forgot to tell me that they wanted it. I signed the contract in a hurry, as I was literally getting in the car to fly to Florida to visit my parents at the beginning of November, I didn't read the contract (I know, I know!) because the realtor explained it to me and then said, "Sign here." The realtor admitted it was his error and says he'll buy me a new washer dryer when I move to the new house. (The two there are 15 years old, and mine was brand new.)

In the meantime-- now I can't do my laundry at home. I suppose I can drive to Vermont, 279 miles, and do it at my house there. I'm not above using a laundromat. It's just that I didn't realize I'd HAVE to because I didn't know they were illegally building another apartment in the basement, and if you go back to my posting "Occupied!" you will see that the New Owner (wife) said I was perfectly welcome to continue using the dryer. That was of course before they build a wall around it.

I don't know where to go today, but I don't want to be here. I have business calls to make but I feel displaced. And I'm sad about something else, too, a decision I have to make about a situation that brings me little joy. (That little joy it brings me is dazzling. But there's so very little of it that it just ends up confusing me.)

And I hate this time of year because like everyone else I compare what I meant to do this year with what I actually accomplished. As I was caught up in and consumed by that horrible job I quit in October, 2005 was a wash for me. I wish there was a way to do it over. But I guess there is, and it's called 2006.

2 Comments:

Blogger JillWrites said...

So bring on 2006. I just want to come there and torture these people on your behalf.

12:47 PM  
Blogger SRH said...

Happy New Year?

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home